Sunday, September 20, 2009

Never go grocery shopping with your (hungry) husband!

I am honestly trying to do much better on my grocery budget but it was blown out of the water today. Hubby and I needed to visit Lowe's and Ross for a couple of items, since Publix was in the same vicinity I suggested that we run in for a couple of staples for the week. My intention was to pick up bread, nectarines, bananas, lemons and nothing more. Here is what we left with:

Nectarines (1.78lb @ 1.49/lb = 2.65)

Wesson - $2.00 (now this is a good deal and we were running low but I should have looked for a coupon)

Publix Light Wheat Bread - $1.69 - yes, I know there was a coupon that made Nature's Pride 85 cents but I prefer Publix bread.

Lemons (2 @ 3 for 1.29 = .86)

Bananas (1.35lb @ .53/lb = .72)

Fruit Salad  - 2.71

3 Smart Ones Meals ( 3 x 1.95 = 5.85)

Challah Round Bread - 2.49 (should have used my bread machine)

Single serve Publix Pomegranate/Orange tea - .75 (we already had brewed tea at home)

Quaker Chewy Bar - 1.50 (this is a good deal but I am certain that I had a coupon)

1/2 American Sub = 5.09 (he had a craving)

1/2 Roast Beef Sub = 5.09 (I followed along with his craving)

Eggs - 1.19

Penny Item = Coffee (taking it to a coworker)

Total before ad prices = 49.13

Total OOP = 39.77

I only saved 20% today but I have to post this to keep myself on track. I must not let this happen again! I learned my lesson. I love my hubby dearly but he just isnt as frugal as I am.

On a brighter note, we needed a comforter so we went to Ross. I snagged a comforter set for $24.99 plus tax. Normal retail value was $60.00! We also scored a deal on air filters at Lowe's. $5.97 for 3, normal price $7.97!

No comments: