Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Cheap, Filling and Low Calorie Breakfast

I had a wonderful idea the other day while I was looking at a half eaten loaf of bread that was about to expire. It is hard for 2 people to polish off an entire loaf of bread before it turns bad so I decided to make French Toast and freeze it for quick morning meals. Since I didn't know how this would come out, I only made enough for 2 breakfasts. I tried the French toast this morning and it was surprisingly good. I wont lie and say that it tastes as good as fresh made French toast but it was still delicious. Here is the recipe and the cost breakdown:


For 5 breakfasts:

10 slices of Publix Light Wheat Bread (end of the week bread - approximately 1/2 loaf) @1.69/ bag x .50 = .85

4 large eggs beaten - 1.19/dozen x .33 = .39

1/2 cup of Purity Sweet Acidophilus Milk - 2.99 (normally 3.99 at Food Lion plus $1 off coupon from PurityLovers.Com) - .09

2 tsp. Imitation Vanilla - approximately 1 cent (purchased awhile back and I know I paid less than $1.50)

2 tsp. Ground cinnamon - approximately 1 cent (came from a 99 cent container)

Preheat griddle to 375 degrees

Whisk eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon together in a large bowl - may need to add additional milk depending on how dry your bread is. Dip slices of bread in mixture. Cook until golden on each side (approximately 3 to 5 minutes total).

One cooked, lay the individual slices on paper towels to wick away moisture. Wrap the toast in paper towels and then freeze. To reheat, place in a toaster on medium setting until heated through.

Breakdown per meal (2 slices) = .27 cents which is much better and healthier than the McDonald's dollar menu.

Calories - approximately 115

I use 1/4 c of Aunt Jemima Lite Syrup - calories = 50

I also throw in a nectarine or peach - calories = 60

For less than 300 calories, you can have a quick, healthy, cheap and simple breakfast

No comments: