Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Saved 82% at Kroger's

I was very excited yesterday when I received my Vocalpoint Kashi Coupons for $3 off Kashi Go Lean Cereal (2 coupons). The excitement grew once I discovered that Krogers has the cereal on sale through Saturday for $3 a box!!! I am all about getting stuff for free so I ventured off to Krogers and bought the following:

2 boxes Kashi Go Lean ( 2 --- $3 off coupons) - paid nada
Huggies 32 count wipes ($2 off coupon) - overage of 1 cent
2 Sister Schubert Rolls (2 ---$1 off coupons) - $1.49/pkg = $2.98

Coupons: $10
Kroger Plus Savings: $4.28
Total Savings: $14.28
Tax: $1.09
Total OOP: $4.06

Apparently I have to pay tax on the pre coupon total ---bummer. If this hadnt been the case, I could have saved another 70 cents at least.

2 comments:

Carol said...

Tax is not an exact science - it's crazy - PLUS TN charges different tax rates based on food or non food!!!!

I think you have to pay tax on the manufacturer coupon portion but not the store coupon portion.

Example:
100.00 total due (You would pay $9.75 tax right? with no coupons??)
100.00 due
-50.00 MFC's
-20.00 SC's (Doubled coupons - you happened to have lots of .50 coupons let's say :) )
30.00 OOP due
but i think you'd pay $7.80 in tax because you would pay tax on 80.00 worth...

All i know is when you start using coupons you see how BROKEN the cash registers are when it comes to some of this stuff!! :)

hollybug said...

Too crazy!