Saturday, October 10, 2009

Publix Trip (Not so pleasant)

I normally go to Publix on Sunday mornings to take advantage of the penny item but I ventured out today since my husband wanted fresh fish for dinner. I had a very rude cashier, something that I have never encountered at a Publix before. As soon as I got to the line, she saw that I had coupons and asked for them --- my husband joked around saying we had lots of coupons. She sarcastically said, I should have known and then turned to another cashier to say "another one". I had  15 coupons, I am sorry but that is not a lot. I know there are quite a few people out there that really bring a bad name to couponing but please, we arent all like that. It is never my intent to rip off the store, hoard items, etc. I want to save on items that I use on a daily basis. My total was over $100 (meat, beer and produce pushed the limits) --- I spent quite a bit of my hard earned money --- Krogers would have loved to have had me. Enough ranting, here are the deals that I got:

Cocoa Butter - 16 oz bottle - Free with Baby Club Coupon (saved $3.49)
Lysol Cleaner - 2 bottles B1G1 - .70 total after (2) 50 cent coupons.
5 Smart Ones Meals - $9.40 after $2 off 5 entrees coupons
Hunts Tomatoes - 6 cans B1G1 - $1.14 after (3) 50 cent coupons
Betty Crocker Potatoes  - 2 Boxes B1G1 - .19 cents total after (2) 40 cent coupons.
2 cans of Crescent Rolls 3 for $5 - .67 each after (2) $1 coupons
2 Dole fruit bowls  - $.99 each after (2) 50 cent coupons
Rubbing Alcohol - free with baby club coupon (saved .85)
Hand Sanitizer - free with baby club coupon (saved .99)

I didnt list all 70 items, just the really good deals.

My total before Coupons: $151.14
Saved: $43.73
Total OOP: $107.41

I spent more today than I have in quite a long time. It proves that my husband can really blow the budget out of the water and I dont have the will power to stop him. Oh well, you only live once!

Update ---- I really need to track my purchases so I am listing all of the items that I purchased:

Publix Cocoa Butter (free after coupon)
Lysol cleaner  x 2 @ .35 each after coupon
WW entree @ 1.95
Rubbermaid container @ 2.19 after coupon
WW entree @1.95
Rubbermaid container @ 1.29 after coupon
Ronzoni spaghetti noodles @ 1.39 for 2 boxes
Fritos - $2.89
Pringles 1.79
WW entree - 2.50
WW entree - 1.95
WW entree - 2.50
Florida Natural Juice - 2.94 after coupon
Black Eye Peas - .89 x 2
Dos Equis 6 pack - 8.29
Chunky Soup - 2.39 x 2 cans
Hormel Chili - 1.25
2 Grands biscuits - 2.08 ( after $1 coupon)
6 Hunts tomatoes - 1.14
Rainbow Trout - 4.63
OM Ham - 4.19
Peter Pan - 1.33 (after $1 coupon)
Smithfield Bacon - 3.99
Ground Chuck (4 lbs) - 8.02
Fruit Salad - 3.23
Rice Cereal - 2.59
Classico Sauce - 1.45
2 BC Scallop Potatoes - 19 cents total after coupons
2 Pillsbury Crescent Rolls - 1.34 total after coupons
2 Dole fruit bowls - .99 each after coupons
Cucumber - .65
Iceberg lettuce - 1.49
Sweet potatoes - .55
2 lbs of bananas - 1.19
Alcohol -free
hand sanitizer - free
Gillette Shave gel - 2.99
Fiber One Bars - 1.50 after coupon
Apples - 2.38
Italian 5 grain bread - 3.59
Weber Cajun spice - 1.50
Light Wheat bread - 1.69

I am glad that I listed these out, lots of things seem to have found their way into the cart. I wasnt fully aware of the total price, especially the beer and ham. I knew I shouldn't have left him alone while I was picking out my frozen meals for the week. I guess my husband is breaking me in for when a child will do this.

4 comments:

Carol said...

i am SO SORRY that you had that experience. you only had 15 coupons and they treated you that way?

Poor Hollybug!!! and you being pregnant too!!! You want I should bring my two screaming children and my PILES AND PILES of coupons to your Publix and we can find that same cashier and i can make her holler (but not for saving dollars!!!) because i'm super nice about coupons but if someone is rude to me about it or acts like it's coming out of their pocket I talk to the management.

FYI the day i spent right at $100 at publix? Yeah...I used around 50 coupons. so 15 isn't really anything at all...!!! i'm so sorry :(

hollybug said...

No big deal, I sent an email through their website. I am more frustrated by the final amount that I spent ---- I have been really good at keeping the bill around $60 most of the time. Going to the grocery with Shawn is as bad as going with a kid, I find lots of intersting items when it is time to check out.

Earthy Mama said...

I am glad you sent them an email- I hope they respond. That kind of attitude is completely unneseccary and very un-publix-like.

hollybug said...

I did receive a call from the manager, he appologized and said that he would council the cashier. I made certain to tell him that I love his store and I was REALLY shocked by this.